Scattering, Photon Science Operations
Contactchenhuizhu@lbl.govMailstop: 2R0400510-486-4395 (Office)
Beamline 7.3.3 SAXS/WAXS/GISAXS/GIWAXS
Chenhui Zhu received his Ph.D. in Physics in 2009 from the University of Colorado in Boulder. He did his postdoctoral research at Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago. He then joined the Advanced Light Source, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in 2013 as Project Scientist, got promoted to Research Scientist, and has been a career Staff Scientist since 2018.
- Liquid Crystals, Metal organic framework (MOF)/COF, Self assembly in nanomaterials, Colloids, Molecular rotors, Polymer
- Molecular orbital/bond orientation ordering and fluctuation in organic and hybrid functional materials
- In-situ environments for X-ray scattering and diffraction, Grazing-incidence SAXS/WAXS
- Tender (resonant) XPCS for soft and hybrid materials – Coherent X-ray Scattering
- Resonant X-ray scattering for probing molecular orbital/bond orientation ordering
Please see my google scholar profile
Resonant X-ray Scattering/Bond Orientation Sensitivity (with soft and tender X-rays)
- “Probing and controlling liquid crystal helical nanofilament”, Chenhui Zhu*, Cheng Wang*, Anthony Young, Feng Liu, Ilja Gunkel, Dong Chen, Dave Walba, Joseph Maclennan, Noel Clark, Alexander Hexemer*, Nano Letters 15, 3420 (2015). (ALS Science Highlight)
- “Resonant Carbon K-Edge Soft X-Ray Scattering from Helical Molecular Reorientation (twist bend nematic)”, Chenhui Zhu*, Michael Tuchband, Anthony Young, Min Shuai, Alyssa Scarbrough, David Walba, Joseph Maclennan, Cheng Wang, Alexander Hexemer*, Noel Clark*, Phys. Rev. Lett., 116, 147803 (2016). (Berkeley Lab News) (Daily Californian news)
- (a) “Structure of 3-D Nanoscale-pitch Helical Phases: Blue Phase ”, M. Salamonczyk, et al., Soft Matter, 2017. (ALS Science Brief);;; (b) “Twist-bend Nematic Phase Investigated by Resonant X-ray Scattering at the Carbon and Sulfur K-edges“, M. Salamonczyk, et al., Soft Matter, 2018 – Tender resonant X-ray scattering work;;; (c) “Distinct differences in the nanoscale behaviors of the twist-bend liquid crystal phase”, M. Tuchband, N. Clark, et al. PNAS, (2019).
Coherent X-ray Scattering and Imaging
- “Study of Electrode Surface Dynamics Using Coherent Surface X-Ray Scattering“, H. You*, M. Pierce V. Komanicky, A. Barbour, C. Zhu, Electrochimica Acta, 82, 570 (2012). (XPCS)
- “Ptychographic X-ray Imaging of Surfaces on Crystal Truncation Rod”, Chenhui Zhu, Ross Harder, Ana Diaz, Vladir Komanicky, Andi Barbour, Ruqing Xu, Xiaojing Huang, Yaohua Liu, Michael Pierce, Andreas Menzel, Hoydoo You*, Applied Physics Letters, 106, 101604 (2015). (coherent X-ray imaging in reflection geometry)
Liquid Crystals, Molecular Rotors, Self-assembly, MOF/COF,
- “Spontaneous Ferroelectric Order in a Bent-Core Smectic Liquid Crystal of Fluid Orthorhombic Layers”, R. A. Reddy, Chenhui Zhu, et al., Science 332, 72 (2011); “Topological Ferroelectric Bistability in a Polarization-Modulated Orthogonal Smectic Liquid Crystal”, Chenhui Zhu, et al., J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134, 9681 (2012).
- “Structure of a Monolayer of Molecular Rotors on Aqueous Subphase from Grazing-incidence X-ray Diffraction“, J. Kaleta, J. Wen, T. F. Magnera, P. I. Dron, C. Zhu, J. Michl, PNAS, (2018). DOI: pnas.1712789115
- “Structural Diversity in Binary Superlattices Self-assembled from Polymer-grafted Nanocrystals”, X. Ye, C. Zhu, S. N. Raja, B. He, M. R. Jones, M. R. Hauwiller, Y. Liu, T. Xu, A. P. Alivisatos, Nature Communications 6, 11052 (2015).
- “Weaving of Organic Threads into a Crystalline Covalent Organic Framework”, Y. Liu, Y. Ma, Y. Zhao, X. Sun, H. Furukawa, F. Gandara, Z. Liu, H. Zhu, C. Zhu, P. Oleynikov, X. Zhang, O. Terasaki, O. M. Yaghi, Science 351, 365 (2016).; “Ordered and Oriented MOFs on Plasmonic Silver Nanocrystals”, Y. Zhao, N. Kornienko, L. Zheng, C. Zhu, S. Asahina, R. Kuo, W.Bao, C. Xie, A. Hexemer, O. Terasaki, P. Yang, O. Yaghi, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 137, 2199 (2015).