Staff Scientist, Program Lead
Microscopy, Photon Science Operations
Contact[email protected]Mailstop: 2R0400510-486-7628
I lead the Microscopy Program which manages the scanning transmission x-ray microscopes at beamlines 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199.
- Ph.D. – Physics, Stony Brook University, December 2004. Advised by Janos Kirz and David Sayre. Dissertation: Biological Imaging By X-ray Diffraction Microscopy.
- B.A. – Physics, Colgate University, May 1998
- Center for Bio-photonics, UC Davis, January 2005 – August 2006. Development of synchrotron based serial nano-crystallography
- Staff Physicist, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, March 2012 to present
- Associate Physicist, Brookhaven National Laboratory, August 2009 to March 2012
- Seaborg Fellow, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, September 2006 to July 2009
Developing experimental and computational methods for coherent x-ray imaging and its various applications.
The COSMIC Imaging Beamline at the Advanced Light Source: a new facility for spectro microscopy of nano-materials, David A Shapiro, Richard Celestre, Bjoern Enders, John Joseph, Harinarayan Krishnan, Matthew A Marcus, Kasra Nowrouzi, Howard Padmore, Jungjin Park, Anthony Warwick, Young-Sang Yu, Microscopy and Microanalysis 24 (S2), 8-11 (2018)
Yu, Y.S., et al, Three dimensional localization of nanoscale battery reactions using soft X-ray tomography, Nature Communications, 9, 921 (2018)
X. Zhu, et al, Measuring spectroscopy and magnetism of extracted and intracellular magnetosomes using soft X-ray ptychography, PNAS, 113 (51), E8219-E8227, 2017.
Lim, J. et al, Origin and hysteresis of lithium compositional spatiodynamics within battery primary particles, Science 353 (6299), 566-571, 2016.
Farmand, M., et al, Near-edge X-ray Refraction Fine Structure Microscopy of Nano-materials, Applied Physics Letters 110 (6), 063101, 2016
Marchesini, S., et al, SHARP: a distributed, GPU-based ptychographic solver. Journal of Applied Crystallography 49 (4), 2016
A. Wise, et al, Nanoscale Chemical Imaging of an Individual Catalyst Particle with Soft X-ray Ptychography, ACS Catalysis, 6 (4), pp 2178–2181 (2016)
Yu, Y-S, et al, Dependence on crystal size of the nanoscale chemical phase distribution and fracture in LixFePO4, Nano Letters, 15 (7), pp 4282–4288 (2015)
D.A.Shapiro, et al, Chemical Composition Mapping with Nanometre Resolution with Soft X-ray Microscopy, Nature Photonics, 8, 765-769 (2014).