Division Deputy for Experimental Systems, ALS
Group Leader for Experimental Systems, ALS-U
BSc. (Physics) 1977 U. Leicester
PhD. (Physics) 1983 U. Leicester
Staff scientist Daresbury Laboratory UK, 1982 – 1993
Group Leader for Experimental Systems ALS 1993 – present
Senior Scientist LBNL, 2007 – present
Materials science: development of new experimental techniques for application to problems in materials science
Electron sources: development of photocathodes for production of cold electron beams for use in a range of light sources and in ultra-fast electron diffraction and microscopy
– Plasmon-Enhanced Photocathode for High Brightness and High Repetition Rate X-Ray Sources.
Polyakov, A. et al., Phys. Rev. Lett., 2013. 110(7): p. 076802.
– A grazing incidence x-ray streak camera for ultrafast, single-shot measurement
Feng, J., et al., APL, 2010. 96(13): p. 134102
– 10,000 groove/mm multilayer coated grating for EUV spectroscopy.
Voronov, D.L., et al, Optics Express, 2011. 19(7): p. 6320-6325.
– Optimization of soft x-ray monochromators, Padmore, H.A., Rev. Sci. Instrum., 1989. 60(7): p. 1608-1615
– A low emittance and high efficiency visible light photocathode for high brightness accelerator-based X-ray light sources. Vecchione, et al, APL, 2011. 99: p. 034103.7): p. 6320-6325