The Advanced Light Source Users’ Executive Committee (UEC) invites nominations for its upcoming election for three new UEC members (2024–2026 term). Nominations will be accepted through Friday, October 27, 2023. Membership in the ALS UEC shall be open to those users who are interested in research at the ALS. We note that we currently do not have an open position for ALS employees this year. Please check back for next year. We are especially seeking nominations to represent the biosciences community, but welcome nominations from the entire user community. Self nominations are allowed.
The UEC is seeking nominations for:
- 3 new members to serve a three-year term (2024–2026)
What does the UEC do?
The UEC works closely with ALS management to represent and serve the needs of thousands of users at the ALS. Here are a few highlights of the UEC’s recent accomplishments:
- Maintaining strong interactions among the user community and ALS staff and engaging the next generation of student and young scientist users through our virtual User Meeting.
- Organized the Light Sources 101 tutorial during the User Meeting for early career users.
- Co-organized the Visioning Workshops at the User Meeting for brainstorming the future of ALS.
- Communicated opportunities and impacts associated with the ALS Upgrade project (ALS-U), and engaged the user community throughout the planning process, including co-organizing a series of townhalls.
- Represented users in Congressional visits to educate members and staff about the value of scientific user facilities.
- Organized joint advocacy efforts to support federal funding of DOE light sources.
- Discussed mechanisms to enhance user productivity, such as joint proposals and access to Berkeley Lab’s Molecular Foundry.
- Addressed issues raised by users, such as site access.
For more information on the UEC, visit their website.
Questions? Contact the UEC at email@example.com.