The last day to register online for the 2019 ALS User Meeting is September 26. The event will feature news from DOE, keynote talks, updates on the ALS-U Project, 11 focused workshops and tutorials, a student poster “slam,” an exhibitor tent, and the presentation of awards at the annual banquet. To register and view the draft agenda and logistical information, visit the User Meeting webpage.
ALSNews Vol. 408
August 28, 2019
The Society for Science at User Research Facilities (SSURF) sponsored a delegation of Congressional staffers to visit national user facilities in the Bay Area this week. On Tuesday, they stopped by the ALS to learn about our capabilities and scientific impact first-hand. Interested in volunteering to support SSURF and its mission to provide a consolidated voice for those interested in research conducted by users of U.S. national user facilities? Contact ALS Communications Director and SSURF Board Member Ashley White ([email protected]) to learn more.
Charles “Chuck” Fadley, a pioneer in x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, died at his home in Berkeley on August 1 after several years of treatment for cancer. He held the positions of distinguished professor emeritus of physics at UC Davis, and Advanced Light Source professor and senior faculty scientist at Berkeley Lab. He was 77. Read more »
- New antibiotic approved for drug-resistant tuberculosis
- Mechanism of electrical signaling in cells revealed
- Carnegie Mellon’s Jyoti Katoch receives DOE early career grant to probe quantum matter
- David Prendergast appointed interim director of the Molecular Foundry
- Particle Accelerators Drive Decades of Discoveries at Berkeley Lab and Beyond