Preparing for Arrival
The following process MUST be completed online by new and returning users at least TWO WEEKS prior to arrival at the ALS.
- New Users: Create a user account in ALSHub, the ALS user portal.
- Returning Users: Update your user profile in ALSHub to tell us when you will arrive.
The User Office will inform the main gate of your arrival and will prepare your paperwork so that there will be no delay on arrival.
Not a U.S. citizen? Please look at Documents for Foreign Nationals well ahead of your visit. Bring all relevant documents to the ALS in order to complete your registration.
NOTE: Users who are citizens of, or were born in, T3 countries (Iran, Sudan, and Syria) need DOE permission to work at the ALS, a process which can take 6–9 months to obtain. They should register with ALSHub as soon as possible to start the approval process.
The ALS is located at the main Berkeley Lab site, in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus. To enter the Lab and to gain access to the ALS itself, you’ll need the following:
- Photo ID
- Signed forms, as completed in ALSHub
- Non U.S. citizens: visa, passport, or permanent resident card as appropriate (see Documents for Foreign Nationals for more information)
Getting to LBNL and the ALS
For directions to the Lab, see Maps and Directions and the Lab shuttle schedule. You will need an LBNL ID or a photo ID and shuttle bus pass to board the shuttle. Once on board, ask the driver to let you know when you’ve reached the ALS (Building 6).
Berkeley Lab Security Gate
Users who are not arriving on the Lab shuttle (or who board the shuttle without proper paperwork) will need to check in at the security gate. The ALS User Office will notify the gate of expected users arriving without a valid Berkeley Lab ID badge based on the dates provided by the user, so make sure to email us your arrival date.
Upon Arrival at the ALS (Building 6)
- During business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on weekdays: Go to the registration desk on the second floor of the ALS (Building 6) to complete registration and obtain a Berkeley Lab ID badge for access to the ALS.
- Evenings and weekends: Users arriving at the ALS outside registration business hours must notify the User Office in advance and complete all online forms and training before arriving. Please note that Lab shuttle service is not available on weekends. Upon arriving at Berkeley Lab, contact the ALS control room (510-486-4969) to gain access to the ALS building. If you will not have a phone, please ask the guard at the Berkeley Lab security gate to call for you. Unexpected users arriving out of business hours without a valid Berkeley Lab ID badge will not be granted access to, or be able to perform work at, the ALS.