Preparing for Arrival
The following process MUST be completed online by new and returning users at least TWO WEEKS prior to arrival at the ALS.
- New Users: Create a user account in ALSHub, the ALS user portal.
- Returning Users: Update your user profile in ALSHub to tell us when you will arrive.
Not a U.S. citizen? Please look at Documents for Foreign Nationals well ahead of your visit. Bring all relevant documents to the ALS.
NOTE: Users who are citizens of, or were born in, T3 countries (Iran, Sudan, and Syria) need DOE permission to work at the ALS, a process which can take 6–9 months to obtain. They should create a user account in ALSHub as soon as possible to start the approval process.
To gain access to the ALS, you will need to obtain an LBNL ID badge. You will need to have created an account in ALSHub, and bring the following to the ALS reception desk:
- Photo ID
- Non U.S. citizens: visa, passport, or permanent resident card as appropriate (see Documents for Foreign Nationals for more information)
Upon Arrival at the ALS (Building 6)
- During business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on weekdays: Go to the reception desk on the second floor of the ALS (Building 6) to complete registration and obtain your LBNL ID badge.
- Evenings and weekends: Users arriving at the ALS outside business hours must email the User Office in advance and complete all online forms and training before arriving. Please note that the Lab shuttle service is not available on weekends. Upon arriving at Berkeley Lab, contact the ALS control room (510-486-4969) to gain access to the ALS building. If you will not have a phone, please ask the guard at the Berkeley Lab security gate to call for you. Unexpected users arriving out of business hours without a valid LBNL ID badge will not be granted access to, or be able to perform work at, the ALS.