The Laboratory has a NEW onboarding process for ALS users:
- New badge requests or requests by users with expired badges must be fully processed by the Berkeley Lab Shared Services Office before making an appointment with the Badge Office and before arrival at LBNL.
- LBNL and the ALS require all users who enter or expect to enter any Lab site to provide proof of vaccination or have an approved exception in place. Users registering to get access to LBNL will be asked to fill out a COVID questionnaire and will have the opportunity to upload their vaccine card. Please review the LBNL COVID status and ALS COVID-19 information.
- Badges are issued by the Berkeley Lab Badge Office in Building 65A near the Blackberry Gate. They are no longer issued in the ALS User Office.
- Same-day or expedited onboarding can no longer be requested, so please make sure that you request LBNL site access early by updating your ALSHub profile, completing the registration process, taking all required online training, and scheduling a badge appointment before your travel.
- Badged ALS users who have completed all required training receive access to the ALS experimental floor. Users who need access to additional key-card-controlled work spaces, e.g., the chemistry lab or upstairs labs for sample preparation, need to contact their beamline hosts.
- Always review your access permissions, badge status, and training status on ALSHub before traveling to the ALS.
Preparing for Arrival
The following process MUST be completed online by new and returning users prior to arrival at the ALS and LBNL. Allow at least 1 month for US citizens or 2 months for non-US citizens for processing.
|New or inactive users||You have never been to the ALS or your badge has expired and your LBNL Gate Access status in ALSHub is “inactive.”||
|Active users||You are returning to the ALS and your LBNL Gate Access status in ALSHub is “active.”||
Please visit this page for COVID-19 updates.
Arriving at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL or Berkeley Lab)
Getting to LBNL and the ALS
The ALS is located at the Berkeley Lab site, in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus. For directions to Berkeley Lab, see Maps and Directions and the Lab shuttle schedule. You will not be able to board the shuttle without an active LBNL badge or a visitor pass and photo ID. Once on board the shuttle, ask the driver to let you know when you’ve reached your destination (e.g., Badge Office in Building 65A or the ALS in Building 6). Please note that the Lab shuttle service is not available on weekends or after 8 p.m. on weekdays.
New Users and Returning Users Needing a New Badge
The Berkeley Lab Badge Office will email you a visitor pass with directions to the Badge Office in Building 65A after a badge appointment has been scheduled. After receiving your badge at Building 65A, you can re-board the Lab shuttle to go to the ALS (Building 6).
Getting a Badge on Weekends and After Hours
Users without an active badge who have been approved to come on-site and will arrive outside the business hours of the badging office (Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) need to contact the User Office to arrange for pick-up of a temporary badge.
Berkeley Lab Security Gate
Security will not allow anyone past the guard gate without an active badge or visitor pass plus photo ID, so please plan your visit early.
LBNL Guest House
The LBNL Guest House is currently closed.