The ALS has staff and facilities that are available to users to ensure that their experiment run is highly successful.
Quick Start Guide for Users
Containing useful information on the ALS, Berkeley Lab, and the Bay Area, you can view and download the PDF here or get a physical copy from the User Office.
Scientific and Technical Assistance and Facilities
Safety for Users
User Accounts and Emails
Shipping and Receiving
Purchase, Delivery, and Storage of Gases
Data Transfer Considerations for ALS Scientists and Users
ALS Chemistry Labs
ALS Biology Lab
Floor Operators (for after hours gas connections only): call ext. 7464
Storage Lockers & User Work Spaces. Very limited availability. Contact Steve Rossi
Machine Shop: contact your beamline staff for more information
Users’ Executive Committee: The UEC is your advocate to ALS management
Eating, Sleeping, and Other Needs
- Berkeley Lab Guest House – the Berkeley Lab Guest House reopened on March 7, 2022.
- Cafeteria and Food Services – The lab’s cafeteria is under construction. See link for foodtruck hours and additional information.
- ALS Lounge/Eating Areas – The Advanced Food Source (Building 80) has vending machines offering sandwiches, snacks, and soft drinks for purchase 24 hours a day. There are several Break Areas with microwaves located just off the floor of the ALS in Building 6.
- Many restaurants in Berkeley will deliver food to the Lab
- Visitor Management User Portal – use this portal to arrange for gate access for taxis, rideshares, food deliveries, etc.
- After-Hours Access to/from downtown Berkeley
- The last Lab shuttle bus runs on weekdays around 9pm. See the full schedule here.
- Local taxis and ride-shares (e.g., Uber and Lyft) are generally available 24 hours
- Restaurants around the UC Berkeley campus and downtown are a 30 min walk from the ALS (though beware – going back up the hill is a hike!)
- Mother’s Room and Related Resources – A lactation room is available in the User Support Building (Building 15, Room 319). The room features a lockable door and has a hospital-grade Ameda Elite breast pump that can be connected to a personal use Ameda kit, or there are outlets to plug in your own pump. A refrigerator designated only for lactation use is available in the room. Ice is available from a machine in the Building 15 high bay (bottom floor). The room must be booked in advance by emailing email@example.com (Berkeley Lab staff may book it through the LBNL calendar system) and is key access only. The key may be checked out from the Control Room (80-140) for ad hoc use. Those needing regular use for an extended time may request a dedicated key by contacting Jason Templer (firstname.lastname@example.org).